Thursday, July 25, 2013

Introduction

Hi, I'd like to take a minute to introduce myself and the future of this blog. First off my name is Rob and I am an avid home brewer. I am also a family man and a passionate home cook. The purpose of this blog, like many others, is more of a self record. If it helps out and informs others then all the better. You will see post of my brewing exploits, home cooking adventures and perhaps a little about myself and family.

I've been brewing since January of 2010 and started with extract and specialty grains. My first batch was an ESB recipe picked up from my local home brew store. In retrospect the experience was a disaster. No real instructions and no one to show me the ropes. I put the grains in the sack, brought it up to the boil, left the grains in the brew pot, added the malt extract and continued the boil adding the hops as called for. I let it ferment at room temp and stuck to the primary for X number of days then transfer to secondary. I recall the gravity not being where "it was suppose to be" so I topped off with water. When I figured it was time to bottle my capper crapped out on me and luckily I had some swing top bottles on hand. The resulting brew was a cloudy, protein floaty, over carbonated mess. I had all but given up just with the brew day struggles. But it was just good enough to make me want to try it again.

Since then I have made the switch from extract to all grain brewer. I'm glad I went with the extract and grains to get the hang of the fermentation and boil functions first. But being the control freak that I am when it comes to food and flavors I am glad I transitioned to all grain. To me all grain brewing gives me a sense of greater understanding and control over the brewing process. I know for a fact that great beer can be made with extract. Every brewer transitions in their own way to a style that works best for them. You may see me transition a little more from post to post!

I enjoy brewing a variety of styles. I tend to favor farmhouse ales, malty brown ales, wheat beers, sours and wild brews. Don't get me wrong, I like to brew other styles too. I like to brew things that will stand the test of time as well. I love IPA's and hop forward beers, but I just don't tend to go through the whole batch while it's at it's peak. I like to play with "wild" brewing, brettanomyces and the like. I feel these yeast strains add great complexity and make beers with long term aging potential. The whole evolution of a "living" beer is a beautiful thing in my eyes. Today it's hoppy, tomorrow it's fruity, the next it's funky!

I truly hope that this turns into a positive experience that we can all walk away with something gained. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment