Saturday, September 7, 2013

Review: Modern Times, Neverwhere 100% Brett IPA

I have been a long time follower of Michael Tonsmeire, The Mad Fermentationist. When he announced that he would be consulting and doing recipe development for a start up brewery in California I was exited for him and most of all the beer community as a whole. Reading nearly every blog post from it's inception to their launch. Watching on Facebook and Instagram the delicious sounding beers come to life. There has never been a time where I was more envious of my fellow beer geeks in California. And it just so happens that over half the beer I seek comes from Cali.

Now since the Mad Fermentationist is in DC, Modern Times is in San Diego and I'm in Florida, I have pretty much set my sights on only dreaming of their beers. You could say I was a fan before ever taking that first sip. And usually this sets one up for disappointment, thankfully this was not the case. As luck would have it beer people are awesome. I made a post of a local Cigar City beer I was enjoying on Instagram. Someone asked if I was up for a trade and offered up Modern Times. I couldn't say no to this deal. After a few emails I had a fresh growler full of Neverwhere being delivered to my doorstep!
And now onto the beer itself!!!

Appearance: Clear, golden yellow with an initial thick head typical of wheat beers. The head quickly dissipates to a thin lasting white cap. 

Smell: Fruity American hops melding with tropical fruit from the Brettanomyces. This beer has a truly intoxicating aroma. I could stick my nose in this thing all day long.

Taste: Smooth bitterness, the only time I really noticed it being bitter was as it warmed up. Otherwise it was masked so well by the flavors and aromas. There is a touch of doughiness hidden behind all those tasty American hops.

Mouthfeel: The beer was dry and creamy. There was good carbonation with tiny bubbles tha would linger on your tongue. There is slight malt sweetness that rounds this beer out. 

Overall: I really dig this beer! It's a 7% ABV that goes down like it were closer to 5%. The aromas pull you in and the flavors lock you down. I have a feeling this would be my daily drink if I were a local. This has been my favorite 100% brett fermented beer to date. Great job Modern Times, you nailed it!





No comments:

Post a Comment